Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Diet Dr. Pepper. Not so good...


For two year olds, that is. It all started when I was doing my friend Jen's hair. She knows of my insane love and "need" for Diet Dr. Pepper and actually shares a similar love affair with Diet Coke. As a friendly gesture she brought me a 44 oz DDP (as I affectionately like to refer to it). Now, a 44 oz drink is rather large and I was just getting started with her hair so I'm thinking it will last me through the duration, and then some. Well, I took a healthy sip and then set the cup on the table. About a half hour later I went to refresh myself and the cup was nowhere to be found. Hmm, I thought. "I could swear I put it right here", I said. Just then I glance into the living room to see none other but the 'sneaky' David sitting on the couch with an all but empty 44 oz cup. Oh, yes. All gone except the last 7% (backwash). Ok, so really there was like an inch or two left on the bottom but that was probably just melt-off from the ice! "Oh my gosh!" I said to David. "Doesn't your belly feel sick?" I asked. He replied with a perky "No!" I stood there in disbelief. Even I would feel sick after drinking all of that. The day went on, I finished Jen's hair and that evening Mel and Grayson came over to visit. Right away Mel noticed David was quite 'excitable', if you will. Laughing and jumping and running! At first I thought he just had lots of energy since he'd been cooped up most of the day but once I watched him closely I agreed; this was the effects of some serious caffeine. Since he didn't have a nap that day I expected him to go to bed pretty easily. He did- sort of. He went to bed but woke up after one hour because he heard some beeps. I hadn't heard anything so I told him it was a car outside. I got him back to bed and he woke up again a little later telling me there was an egg on the floor in his bedroom. What? I had no idea what he was talking about and I just figured he'd had a weird dream. By now I'm realizing he obviously wasn't sleeping well. He looked rather bright-eyed considering he hadn't had a nap. I decided to let him stay up until he felt sleepy. This was at 10:30ish. At midnight (after 2 movies and 2 snacks) I started feeling freaked out. When the heck was he going to crash? I know some adults can't even tolerate caffeine(I just don't happen to be one of them!) so the more and more I thought about it the more I began to worry that he really wasn't feeling well. Then I started to wonder if it could be more dangerous than I thought...so I called poison control! I felt a little silly but I really was concerned and just wanted some peace of mind. Turns out he didn't even come close to consuming a dangerous amount and the lady said he would just be restless until it was completely out of his system. Well, finally at 1:30am I decided he was tired! I was changing his diaper for bed when all of a sudden he started getting all upset about a hat on the ceiling and he kept saying it was going to fall!! Wow! To this day I have no idea what that was all about but it was really scaring him so needless to say, I slept in David's bed and he slept in mine with Jason. We all fell into a peaceful slumber at about 2am. FINALLY!
So, everything ended up fine-thank goodness. The next day he was back to himself, although, he still talks about the hat on the ceiling. He's actually been quite sensitive to scary things and certain noises the last few weeks. His little cousin who is just a bit older has been going through the same thing, so I'm thinking it's just a phase. A phase that was aggravated by caffeine and lack of sleep causing partial hallucination? Yikes. As far as the DDP issue is concerned, I'm much more aware of where I set the cup and David doesn't get so much of a sip these days. He hasn't hardly even asked and when he does I just say "No, It makes you feel yucky, remember?" Then he asks for Milk. That's more like it!

9 comments:

Robin D said...

That is so funny. I wonder how Kaiden would be with a Big Gulp of DP?
I love that David was seeing and hearing things...too funny! So we're coming into town this weekend. Joe and I would love to meet up with the four of you. I'm sure Joe will be giving Jason a call and I'm just giving you a heads up!

Lynn said...

Wow... that's so funny!

I'm hiding all of my Diet Dew as soon as I get up from here. I'll be hiding all of the dozens of ball caps I have around the house too. What a funny little guy you have there.

Morgan Family said...

That is too funny and scary at the same time. It is amazing what a little caffeine will do. I love the "I miss you mommy" comment. That is so cute. Those are the comments that make it all worth it. :)

Murray Family said...

Haha! What a funny story! I can't imagine Maddie having that much caffeine; she had a regular size diet coke from Pretzel Maker at the mall while we were trying to keep her happy (not good, I know...). Anyway, when we came home she was literally jumping up and down for like 2 straight hours. If she would have had 44 oz. I'm sure she would have done just what David did :)

lramey said...

k i'm laughing soooo hard right now. I can just see him all "halluced" - that's a word I made up, don't worry!

too bad the wind wasn't blowing that night, cuz you would've been up anyways huh?

well, I'll now leave my swigs far away from him- actually, the swigs are no more from this fair house cuz Brent watched some insanely scary documentary on aspartame and will NOT drink or eat anything with it in it!....it's oh so sad!

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

Yikes Bikes!!!
That's my boy!! Downing a DDP like that!!! BTW I don't like the title of your post, it's very misleading! I almost had a heart attack!!!

Lindsay Ruiz said...

Lindy, that's hilarious. I was actually laughing out loud, and I don't do that very often. You are a good storyteller. I hope Gabriela never gets a hold of caffeine. She already bounces off the walls and makes up crazy stories. Keep up the stories, I enjoy them.

Palmers said...

That is one crazy story! I love hearing David stories, he's such a cute little guy. We need to let he and Blake play together sometime. Blake needs more boys playtimes.

Stefanie said...

Lindy-
That is the funniest story I have ever heard in a long time!!!! Oh DDP is the best thing ever until that story I guess. I share that little problem with David I think though cause I haven't had one in over a week and Krista got me one and I was sick after I drank it and could not fall asleep!!!